Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Saturn has Returned: Time for Transition

According to Astrology, there is a phenomenon described as one's Saturn Return. Apparently while Saturn takes 29.4 Earth years to make its trek around the sun, we as tiny humans experience "youth," which hopefully involves a sense of sparkling curiosity and possibility, and then for most of us towards our mid to late twenties, we enter a vast black hole that leaves us wondering "What do I actually want to do with my life?!"  As Saturn comes waltzing back into our personal night skies, and this Roman God of abundance and harvest is ready to cash in and usher us youngens into the the next chapter of life, affectionately known as adulthood.  Guess what, Saturn shakes things up again at 56 (maturity) and in one's late 80s (wise old age)...

This life transition of course makes sense in the greater non-astrologically-minded world.  Yes, as you approach 30 years old, life changes a bit and you feel like you "ought" to know who you are, the work that will make you money, and a whole series of check-lists present themselves: marriage, kids, mortgage, friendships, life porpose. In short, we, and all of our life choices to date, are up for review, and let's face it, some of those choices aren't makin' the cut.

Needless to say, exactly 2 years ago (hello Saturn!), I retired my Acting career ambitions, broke up with New York City and moved out to the land of Milk and Honey in California with little to no plan of what I really wanted to do next.   Luckily, a was introduced to the Dailey Method as they were opening a new exercise studio was opening across the street from our new Berkeley apartment and well, what else do actors know how to do besides odd jobs? That's right - work out!

Since that inspired voyage West into the unknown two years ago, I have been cultivating that spark of interest in health and fitness.   I currently am excited to teach at three Dailey Method studios and have my eyes set on becoming a Certified Nutrition Consultant. The universe seems to have shifted ever so slightly for me at 28.5 years old thanks to good ole' Saturn's return.

Change is good, no its GREAT! Its exactly what we all need to keep things honest and interesting. While I don't regret a second of running around acting in every New York project I could find, I have discovered another incredibly fulfilling life ambition, which to help people get healthier and feel better about their bodies and lifestyle.

SO, let me introduce my newest blog and project:  Water and Wine Wellness.  It seems an appropriate description of my approach to the health and fitness world.  For me, keeping healthy doesn't mean restricting all the pleasures of life!  Drink lots of water and enjoy good wine -- all good things in moderation people.

This is a forum to explore the varied terrain known as the Health & Fitness world -- because hey, I'll be the first to admit I like feeling healthy, but I'm no fanatic. I like food, sleeping in, Sonoma Pino Noir and a mean Old Fashioned. I would never bring a pair of running shoes on vacation.  You get the picture. That being said, while "getting healthy" is inspiring and exhilarating, it can also feel daunting, deflating, and complicated.  This blog will offer a space to explore and inquire, muse and investigate, as well as challenge and reward. This blog is also here to keep me honest and pro-active.


I want to say I can see the light at the end of this astrological cycle and am spinning into something like adulthood, but hey, I can only laugh out loud, hang on and go along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment