Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Carrot Juice for the Dead

Lets be honest.  There are many factors that contribute to the success of any exercise or health plan, including desire for results, discipline, time management, realistic goal-setting, supportive environment and relationships, competition... and of course good ole' fashioned carrot chasing-- as in a big shiny reward for all your hard work.  Of course, factors weigh in on varying degrees for different people, but sometimes even a little carrot can be a fun and valuable perk at the end of a long and esoteric collection of inspired pep talks.


This past Saturday, I had the pleasure of visiting a fabulous art opening at the Victorian Rat, an innovative art gallery space moonlighting as a Temescal garage.  Founders Brianna, a fellow Dailey Method instructor and artist extraordinare, and David her husband live in the bungalow upstairs and decided to kick off the Halloween season with their second Dia De Los Muertos themed show.   My friend Haven and I joined the ranks of well-healed arty Oakland folks and mingled amidst skeleton brush strokes, lacy spiderwebs, flickering memorials and of course, a large porcelain skull filled with tequila.  Perhaps it was the warm fall evening, or the whirling energy of fresh art on display, or maybe it was just the blush of the Jaliscan skull speakin' some magic, but  I think it is safe to say we were feeling inspired.

"Amy" by Brianna: 
For me, fall inspiration comes from a sense of change, a shifting of intention and desires.  Although Saturday's warm Indian Summer evening offered a lovely atmosphere for art musing, the change of seasons was well at hand.  With the closure of those long, colorful, extroverted summer days, the crackling of fall makes me turn inward and offers a time of self-reflection, nourishment, and re-focus towards future planning.  I mean, what else can explain the overwhelming recent temptation to ignore all my work, grab a Pumpkin Spice Latte's at Starbucks and cozy up with a good book!

Yet, this transition of energy and focus is as natural as day and night, new and old, and life and death.

Thus yet another contributing factor of my current head space of "what next!? and why!?" My Autumn mantra for health and fitness usually differs from my Summer "bikini-bod" anthem.   I tend to focus more towards restructuring my exercise practice, reassessing my goals and reaffirming a sense of discipline.  Changes in my routine now reflect a desire to make health and fitness a greater overall priority in my life (um, a little different than trying to tone up for a Burning Man tutu-  of course both valuable goals!).

"Lady Muertos" by Brianna
So, sitting amongst the painted dead and lively artists, we settled on a carrot.  In three months time, after working out four times a week (or more -- particularly since I'm still doing my 30 Dailey Days!), we'll reward ourselves with a trip to the outlet malls in Vacaville. J-Crew watch out, fit fashion craved ladies on the loose!


Now that the carrot's in place in a flurry of Autumn inspiration, sticking to the track is the hardest part.  Well, can't hate on some healthy skull-bottled tequila inspiration!  Salud!










Thanks to Brianna and David for such a wonderful and revelatory setting-- visit their website to find out more about their next show:
http://victorianrat.squarespace.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! So happy I could inspire. And I am so honored that you posted my art on your blog *blushing*

    ReplyDelete