Sunday, October 9, 2011

The 5th Dailey Day: Rockets on the Horizon


After four days of dreary grey skies, boisterous thunderstorms, and a collection of wet shoes, an inspired breeze has broken through the bay skies and brought with it as sense of Autumnal accomplishment.  San Francisco seems to be basking in its sunny disposition this weekend and everyone is happy to enjoy the beautiful weather and optimistic atmosphere with her.   I have to admit, sitting on the Embarcadero over looking a sparkling bay, steps away from a bustling, regal ferry building, my FIFTH Dailey Method class on Spear street just blocks away delivered me to one of the prettiest areas of San Francisco.  To add to the majesty of the moment, I am literally sitting under a gleaming rocket ship as the Blue Angels divide the skies into intricate patterns as they shake the world below them with their roaring engines.  

Back to the challenge at hand - as an update, I'm on day five.  Taking five workout classes in a week is a remarkable accomplishment and goal for anyone wanting to see results from their workout regime for clients and instructors alike.  I've often heard it said, taking a 3 classes per week will allow you to maintain your strength, four times per week you will start seeing more progress in your work out and results in your body, five or more classes per week, and you'll sky rocket to the next level... Um, did I say sky rocket?? Yes, in my words and in my experience, it usually is the fifth class that will push me over a threshold.  Now I'm not talking about reaching some transcendental bliss where the sky opens and the world becomes an LSD fairy land on the fifth day, although that would be amazing.  But I will say, I get through that period of "ugh, this sucks and my body hates every movement" and more into a "wow, I just did 5 great push ups without wincing" or "my back feels stronger and I can see my muscles changing!"  Its that sky rocket zone that creates new challenges and rewards new accomplishments.   My work out was definitely stronger today, although I know a thousand areas where I can still improve.

I can't help but think that the image of a rocket ship is inspiring on the most basic of levels-- released from gravity and voyaging into new, unknown heights.  The potential we all have is astonishing and it starts with voicing a desire or goal and setting it in motion, starting one day and a time.

Ok, time for some Blue Bottle coffee - quick before I try to give up caffeine!


No comments:

Post a Comment