Saturday, May 26, 2012

Lulu Shimmy Pops






This morning I had another fabulous dose of some sparkle Shimmy Pop Hipline goodness.  Every month Lululemon offers community events on weekend mornings and today they got the Elmwood streets-a-shakin' to the sweet beats of Beyonce, Niki Minaj and Pitbull.  I am always amazed at how these classes come together.  As a fitness instructor, I am constantly trying to find ways to make my class fun, energized, challenging and creative... I want my clients to walk away thinking, I can't believe I laughed that much and still had my ass kicked!  This morning I was reminded of Deb's uncanny ability to do just that.

At 8:30am, about 15 sleepy, somewhat nervous and excitable ladies gathered in the open front room of Lululemon in Berkeley.  Then another 5 women show up... quickly filling the colorful room. We shuffled around,trying to find our little dance corners, politely trying to not take up too much space or be too close to anyone.  Cue Sean Paul... Deb springs to action and brings it all together... The trajectory of these early morning hip hop dance classes seem to start with the same slightly timid, sleepy dance moves, awkwardly thrown about, a sideway glance here and there.  "Am I totally off beat? Yes. I must look rediculous, I can't see the teacher, I am trying to get it perfect, ugh failing!"  The pace picks up, the blood gets flowin and then well, once you start sweating bullets and belly laughing, something shifts.  All the sudden, the "workout" barrier between near strangers in a room starts to fade and you realize, we're all here to have a morning dance party, and what could be more fun that a little booty slappin and dropin down low before 10am? eh eh?

All of the sudden, a room full  of grown women are hooting and singing out of breath, ripping their t-shirts off and doin some supafine "spinal unjulations."  You get so tired at min 45, you can barely lift your knees but you can't stop because you're just having too much fun.  At one point, since I was at the back and couldn't see any of the choreography (not that I was doing a very good job following it anyway), I happily resigned to having my own freestyle dance party of my own choreography in the storefront window.  I'm sure the drivers and bikers at the College and Ashby stop light enjoyed the show.

After the last song ends, we strike a pose, and there is a tangible surge of energy in the room.  Its like every woman is the hottest dancer, gleaming with sweat and ready to be best friends with everyone.  We stand in line, patiently waiting to hug and thank Deb...all thinking, how can I get more of that wild, hilarious vibrant sparkle into my life everyday.

Thanks for another inspiring class -- I'll be sure to make reservations well in advance to save a spot at Hipline to keep reminding myself how good I feel after an hour of Shimmy Pop -- I recommend you do the same!

xoxo
Lydia

http://www.myhipline.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment