Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dailey Day 6 - Living Room Gym Demons

A home work out is hard for so many reasons.   Sometimes your schedule is not on your side and one has to get creative.  Dailey Day Six was one of those days for me.  I planned to work out at 9:45, which turned into 11:00, then 12:15 and finally I realized it wasn't in the cards for me to make it to a class before I had to go to work that night.   So I did what any self-respecting exercise instructor/ desperate 30-day challenger would do... I grabbed my weights, threw open the windows, and blasted my iPod loud enough that the elderly ladies at the Korean Community Center next door could join along if they wanted.  I taught myself a Dailey Method class, and believe it or not, I'm a difficult client.

 I have always been a little reluctant to workout by myself at home because lets face it, I turn into a cheating, easy-way-out, distractible wimp.   But with a 30 day challenge at hand, well obviously I was left with no choice but to face by living room gym demons.

Anyone who has tried to crack down on their home workout routine - especially without a video, knows the classic pitfalls - spacing, distractions, temperature control, other people being home, and more than anything, the overwhelming temptation to cheat and call it a "good work out" before even breaking a sweat.

My workout therefore, became rather informative as I examined all of these excuses and shortcomings I faced.  But why sell myself short of what I know could be a fantastic, efficient and productive hour long workout?  My goal was to push through the pitfalls and at the very least, make my muscles shake.  A little quivering of the muscles is a great sign.  It means you're fatiguing the muscles beyond their normal threshold, which means your reshaping them.  The more dense your muscles are, the greater calorie burning machines they become which increases your metabolism.  Not to mention, strong, well-stretched muscles make your body a better functioning, more agile crime-fighting super hero... and latin lover.

Work the muscles until they quiver... your heart will be pounding and a sheen of sweat will envelope your body, making you... ok, romance writer give it a rest, no need to glamorize home work outs too much ;)

Work out at home!  But make sure to be honest with yourself and work as hard as I would make you work in my class!


ALSO, videos are a fabulous guide and tool if you can't make it into a class and are left to re-arrange your living room furniture.  Check out our new Dailey Method DVD-- So cool!

http://www.thedaileymethod.com/exercisedvd.html

No comments:

Post a Comment